Pageviews last month

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Let's Wrap This Up!

2012 was a whirlwind year for our family. I haven't posted since July, so I should catch everyone up since I know everyone is waiting on pins and needles to hear what happens next for the Toups' family.


I will start where I left off. We are back down to being a two cat family which is fine by me. We found stray momma cat, Crystal, a new home. She was not working out. A very set in her ways 10 year old cat and a hissy and moody 2 year old cat was not working for me. The other two kittens in the litter found homes as well.


Late July also brought with it a change in jobs for Danny. He was hired on by Tri-Mac Transportation to haul chemicals across the U.S. He hauls it all so I usually do not ask because sometimes it is better not knowing the liquid until after the load is complete. His pay almost immediately doubled which has been a huge blessing as we are still on the Dave Ramsey track to be debt free.


For those of you paying attention, our goal was December of this year. We are closer but had a few minor setbacks. Come to find out dental work is NOT cheap so we halted our debt snowball to pay for the fixing of two mouths in the family. We will be debt free this year, Lord willing!


Life has been pretty routine with Danny on the road for about 8-10 days at a time. In late October he was asked to run a dedicated route to Blackie, Alberta Canada. Five days up and 4-5 days back with a couple days R&R then repeat. The girls and I are in a strong routine which makes life a bit simpler (ha!).


Summer consisted of day camp, a couple of trips to the beach, lots of splash pads around the city, and lots of time at our neighborhood pool. No out of town trips just yet.


Meagan started Kindergarten in September and this momma almost lost it dropping her off on the first day. Well....I actually did lose it but I was hidden well with all the other Kindergarten parents losing it as well. It has been amazing to see the maturity in Meagan once real school started for her. She still has her moments but I actually see a little lady blossoming.


Emily started back at her preschool four days a week. She is our little spit fire. There is not a week that goes by that a stranger does not say to me (with a giggle), "you have your hands full don't you!". Emily is a black and white kind of girl. She questions everything, hugs everybody, will talk to strangers all day, loves to have tasks and complete them, and throw the best Emmy nominated fit/tantrum out of the blue. We do have our hands full but she is a complete blessing.


The Fall brought just a bunch of busy to our family. Work at Chick-Fil-A ramped up for me, the girls were involved with swimming every week, more birthday parties than I can count, and reading homework every night for our budding schooler. Working full time with two little ones and a husband on the road is NOT easy but somehow it happens.


The holidays got here way to fast and I was not prepared. I look at the Chrismtas season through two lenses. My Chick-fil-A lens - with a check list including decorating two stores, hosting Santa at two stores on separate nights, and visiting all 75 fantastic schools in our trade area who love our nugget meals for school parties and all want them on the same day. My family lens this year seemed blurry. I packed way too much into the month of December wanting to make sure my kids had great memories.

First, I volunteered to chair the Winter Wonderland event at Meagan's school complete with dinner, Santa pictures, a bounce house, cookie decorating, and crafts. It was not hard to coordinate and delegate but it was too much when combined with work and home life. The event was a huge success! Second was Christmas shopping! I didn't step foot in a retail store this year except Target and Academy one time each. I did all of my shopping online mostly out of necessity but also because I do not like crowds or the mall.


Third, we hosted the Toups' annual Christmas party this year complete with Shrimp Gumbo and Boudin. It was a huge success with 10 hours of deep cleaning the house and bailing on our Sunday School Class party to get it all done. We never play hookie from church but I am not ashamed to say we did the Sunday after the party. Danny pulled out for work at 2am the morning after the party and I felt like I had been hit by a freight train after the party and a 50 hour work week.


As is life with two little ones, I have no social life (or very little). I say that not for pity but to highlight the Joshua House adult class at Kingsland Baptist Church. I have been going consistently for a little over 3 years now and am now starting to make deeper connections. This class would go to the moon and back for anyone and I have seen them do it time and time again. Even when they don't know it, they have been a support. I so look forward to Sundays for "me" time at church - a time for me to get recharged, laugh a little, have a semi deep conversation, etc.


Why do I tell you all this in detail? I am not assuming most of you want to know all of this but I do it first to keep a written memory of 2012 which included a move, a new job for Danny, Meagan starting Kindergarten, the loss of Meagan's first two teeth, and lots and lots of hugs, giggles, screams, tears, and wanting to pull my hair out. I wouldn't have it any other way!


Let's see what 2013 brings.....

No comments:

Post a Comment